Are you planning the safari of a lifetime and need to know the visa requirements for South Africa? Or maybe your lifelong dream of riding an ostrich is FINALLY within reach? There is something about South Africa that never ceases to attract people from all over the world to invest the time and money into visiting this exotic, magnificent and culturally complicated country.
South Africa has a slightly more complicated visa system than other countries, with different requirements for different nationalities. Below is the Visa Policy Map for South Africa (as of June 2016) which gives you an indication of how your nationality will play a role in your visa requirements:
There are certain differences in the visa requirements for South Africa compared to other countries. For example, where most countries require a passport that’s valid for at least 3 to 6 months after arrival or departure, the current validity requirement for South Africa is only 1 month. That being said, we would never recommend anyone travelling on a passport that expires in less than 6 months. Save yourself the trouble, and apply for a new passport before applying for a visa to anywhere, or traveling abroad.
As for all the other requirements for your South Africa Visa application; below is your complete check list of things to prepare:
General Visa Requirements For South Africa:
According to the Official Department of Home Affairs for the Republic of South Africa, these are the current visa requirements to apply for a visa for South Africa.
- A return or onward ticket if you are travelling by air – ah, the requirement we all know and hate. All embassies require a copy of a return ticket, but with our modern way of travelling, this just isn’t feasible anymore. Avoid paying for expensive tickets you don’t even know if you want, by using our services at Schengen Travel and get your 100 % authentic and cancellable flight and hotel booking for a small fee). This is one of the mandatory visa requirements for South Africa.
- A passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of your intended visit, including at least TWO unused page for entry / departure endorsements
- A completed application form
- Payment of the prescribed visa fee
- A yellow-fever vaccination certificate (if required – see additional points below)
- Statement and/or documentation confirming the purpose and duration of your visit
- Two colour passport photographs (to read about the passport photo requirements, click here)
- If you have children (minors) travelling with you or joining in South Africa, you will need to provide the following additional documents:
- Proof of guardianship or custody or
- Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
- Proof of financial means to pay for your living expenses while in South Africa in the form of:
- Bank statements
- Salary advances
- Undertakings by the host(s) in South Africa
- Medical cover or
- Cash available (including credit cards and travellers’ cheques)
Then there are the general requirements for entering South Africa, in addition to the general visa requirements for South Africa:
- A valid and acceptable passport or travel document for your intended stay
- At least one blank page in your passport for endorsements
- A valid visa, if required
- Sufficient funds to pay for your day-to-day expenses during your stay
- A return or onward ticket – Don’t risk losing thousands of dollars should your visa application be rejected, or you chose to go somewhere else after your trip to South Africa; get a 100 % authentic and cancellable flight ticket for a small fee at com, and ensure your application is accepted and you get through immigration without any trouble
- Yellow fever certificates if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.
Though it may seem like a long list of requirements at first, the visa requirements for South Africa are actually no longer or any more complicated than any other country in the world. Start from the top and work your way down the list, and you’ll have it completed in no time. Remember to fill in your application form in capital letters, and don’t correct anything on the form itself (print a new one and start again).
Also keep in mind that even if the official list of requirements per date does not list a hotel booking as one of the visa requirements for South Africa, having this will greatly improve your chances of having your application approved. At Schengen Visa Flight Reservation, you can get a package deal of both authentic flight reservation and hotel reservations for a small fee that allows you to stay flexible while still abiding by the visa rules 100%.
Let us know what you think in our comment section below, and happy travels to South Africa!
Join Our Newsletter
Did you enjoy the above post and want to read more?
JOIN OUR Weekly Newsletter Right Now!