Hungary is a beautiful country in Eastern-Europe, for which you need a Hungary Schengen visa to enter. It’s famous capital, Budapest, is known for being one of Europe’s most historically rich, charming and diverse cities in Europe, with everything from Turkish baths to ruin bars (bars and pubs in old ruins), as well as art and sculptures from the Second World War that will leave a permanent mark on most visitors. There is a vibrant urban scene, plus beautiful scenery to be enjoyed.
Budapest actually used to be two cities, Buda and Pest, where the rich royal fortresses belonged to the city of Buda, to the West of the river Danube, and Pest on the East side. The merging of the two cities is said to have given the place its particular charm and urban/historic blend.
To apply for a Hungary Schengen visa, there are some things you’ll need to know, but before we get to that, make sure you read up on a few facts about Hungary before you go!
One interesting fact about Hungary, is that it’s a part of the E.U., but has not adapted to the euro as currency. The local currency in Hungary is called Hungarian Forint, and it’s always advisable to get acquainted with the local currency. At the writing of this article; 1 USD is about 300 Forint! Make sure you bring an ATM card, and keep track of your expenses.
One of the requirements for a Hungarian Schengen visa that needs to be taken seriously, is the requirement for travel insurance. Hungary has been a part of the Schengen area since 2007, which means that you only need a Schengen visa to be able to travel all the Schengen Member states freely. If Hungary is the first, or only, country you are visiting on your Europe trip, you must apply for a Schengen visa at your local Hungarian Embassy.
Every Schengen visa requires valid travel insurance that meets specific requirements. We have listed the requirements for a Schengen travel insurance below, as well as Schengen visa flight reservation offering 24/7 FREE visa assistance for all your visa questions. We also recommend Visitor’s Coverage for affordable travel insurance that is guaranteed to meet all the Schengen requirements.
HUNGARY SCHENGEN VISA – DO I NEED TO APPLY FOR A VISA OR NOT?
The general rule is that you need to apply for a Hungary Schengen visa if you are not a citizen of a another Schengen member state, but in addition to this there are also other countries that are allowed visa-free entry to Hungary and the Schengen area as long as the visit is strictly for tourism purposes and does not exceed 90 days. Below is a list of countries outside the Schengen Area, whose citizens have visa-free entry to Hungary:
- Costa Rica
- Holy See
- Hong Kong (the exemption applies only to holders of a “Hong Kong Special Administrative Region”, so check with your local embassy if you are unsure)
- Macao (again, this applies only to holders of a “Regio Administrativa Especial de Macau” passport)
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Korea
- United States of America
HUNGARY SCHENGEN VISA – MANDATORY CHECKLIST OF REQUIREMENTS
Below is our mandatory checklist for your Hungary Schengen visa application:
- Filled out Schengen visa application form, you can find it here.
- Visa fee (€60) – this is non refundable and most embassies want to see proof of payment if you pay over online banking.
- 2 passport compliant photos; must be 51x51mm (2×2 inches) in size, no older than 6 months, on a light background with the whole face visible
- Passport – Must be in good condition, and valid for 3-6 months after your intended departure date from the Schengen area.
- Passport copy including both sides of the passport, and copies of previous visas
- Flight itinerary – Unfortunately, there is no getting around this requirement. Not only does the embassy require a genuine flight reservation, but so do the airlines and you can be denied boarding if you fail to present one. To avoid having to prepay a ticket and risk your money, we have come up with a different solution at Schengen visa flight reservation: we offer fully cancellable and authentic flight reservation to meet the Hungary Schengen visa All you have to do is follow a super simple 4-step process to choose your service (yep, we have hotel bookings too!), enter your desired dates, and we take care of the rest. We pride ourselves in offering the lowest rate on the market, and the best and fastest customer service. We take care of the cancellation for you: all you have to do is apply for your visa!
- Personal covering letter – read our extensive guide on writing your personal covering letter. This letter is mandatory, and it’s a good idea to start preparing it well in advance. Don’t submit a messy, rushed covering letter – it will not help your Hungary Schengen visa application one bit!
- Proof of financial means – This is a common requirement, yet most embassies don’t publish an official figure of how much they require. Call your embassy to be sure, and prepare pay slips, account statements and credit card statements.
- Schengen Travel Insurance: As our paragraph above mentions, this is mandatory. All Schengen Visa applications must have a minimum coverage of €30,000, be valid for the full duration of your stay, and cover all medical emergencies, repatriation and death. The insurance must be valid in all Schengen member countries, not just for a Hungary Schengen visa.
- Hotel reservation – This is requirement is mandatory unless you have an official invitation from a host that can guarantee your accommodation during your stay. If you have a friend or relative in Hungary, they have to submit an official invitation for you online, and you can then proceed with your application without a hotel reservation. If you are planning an extended Euro trip, however, or don’t have a sponsor, we recommend checking out our service for hotel bookings for visa application. Cheap, fast and reliable. Pay through PayPal for extra security, and ask our customer service any visa questions you might have! We are happy to help, and can guide you in your visa process for your Hungary Schengen visa.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to let us know how we can help with all your visa questions and travel plans.